COURSE: MT 35101 Discovering Computer Graphics [Course Syllabus]
RESOURCES: Course Resources
PROF: Walsh, Aaron (bio and contact page)
CLASS 1 : INTRODUCTION
*** PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CLASS STARTS AT 6:30pm WITH A ***
*** SELF-DIRECTED SERIES OF EXERCISES IN PREPARATION FOR ***
*** THE LECTURE LATER IN THE EVENING [SEE DETAILS BELOW] ***
Discovering Computer Graphics is an Immersive Education course: the entire course takes place online in a virtual world (synthetic immersive learning environment). Note that MOST of tonight's class is entirely self-directed: the instructor will "meet" you online after you complete the steps below. Complete the steps below at the start of tonight's class so that you are READY to meet virtually at 8pm ET. In other words, you have until 8pm to complete the steps below so that you can meet with the professor online (virtually) at that time. Approximate time estimates are given for each step below so that you can keep pace.
BEFORE YOU START THE STEPS BELOW:
STEPS TO TAKE AT THE START CLASS:
1) Click here now to review the course syllabus and then check your BC email account for notices related to tonight's class. [10 minutes]
2) Purchase your "academic subscription" to the iED 3D/VR Virtual Learning Environments listed on the course syllabus. [10 minutes]. Note the following:
3) Visit http://members.ImmersiveEducation.org and read about Immersive Education (iED), and then CAREFULLY follow the steps below to creating your own account [30 minutes]:
4) Install Flash from here if you don't already have the most up to date version. [5 minutes]
5) Create a personal Google account if you do not already have one, and take great care to write down your Google account name and password, and also your GMail address (GMail is "Google Mail"). If you already have a Google account you do not need to create another one: you can use your existing Google account. You will need a Google account and a GMail email address later in tonight's class and for the remainder of this course. Follow these steps to create your Google account: [30 minutes]
6) If you have not used Google Groups before watch the following two videos, visit the official Google Groups home page, and also read the following article: [15 minutes]
7) Check your BC email account for details on how to join the Google Group for this course, and for further instructions (steps) for tonight's class.
NOTE: The professor will send further instructions to your BC email account by 8:00pm, at which point you should have completed ALL of the above steps. See the notes above for details on how to contact the professor if you have any issues or problems completing these steps before 8:00pm tonight.
ASSIGNMENTS DUE BEFORE OUR NEXT CLASS: See our course lecture notes and assignments page to review the previous classes and prepare for the next class. Between today and our next class do all of the assignments listed on the lecture notes and assignments page that correspond to tonight's class. IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU WORK CLOSELY WITH YOUR TEAM MEMBERS BETWEEN EACH CLASS TO ENSURE THAT YOU'RE ALL READY FOR THE NEXT CLASS. YOUR TEAM SHOULD KNOW THE PASS/FAIL STATUS FOR EACH MEMBER OF YOUR TEAM *BEFORE* CLASS STARTS SO THAT YOU CAN RECORD A PASS/FAIL IMMEDIATELY (SAVING TIME, AND ENABLING OTHER TEAMS TO RUN THE LADDER WITH YOU IN A TIMELY MANNER).
WHEN THIS COURSE OVER: Once this course is over consider uninstalling (removing) browser plug-ins and software that you've previously installed for this class but may no longer use. Here's how to uninstall software if you're using a Windows-based computer.